Monday, April 11, 2011

I've Always Looked Like That

Every week I get people trying to use ID cards that are not theirs. The thing that surprises me is the fact that people think I don't notice that a 6'1" guy is not in fact the 5'6" woman in the picture on her ID card. "Hmm...you don't seem to look like you have highlighted blonde hair and sparkly lip gloss." The fact that they get upset when I stop them, is what really gets me. I think if the University really wanted students to swap IDs like baseball cards, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't include an ID.

The following reason patrons have actually given me as why they don't seem to match up with the picture:
  • "My girlfriend/boyfriend is just upstairs. What's the big deal?"
  • "My dad works here and I have a huge fine, so can't I just use his?"
  • "I've lost my ID card and I didn't bring any other photo ID, so my buddy said I could borrow his."
Reactions to my negative response in the mild identity theft department ranges from a "oh, I didn't know" to "you guys are a bunch of jerks for making me do this". I don't like to check IDs but I've had too many patrons that have "borrowed" their roommates cards to not stop people from doing it. I've also had plenty of claimed returned items that go something like "I never checked this out. Maybe my roommate stole my card".

Moral of the Story: Be smart enough to not use someone's ID, especially if you look nothing like them. The photos are to protect you. You'd want me to stop you if someone used your driver's license or passport if it wasn't you, wouldn't you?

Thanks for reading and remember: don't fold down the pages of your library books.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite from that summer I worked at KarKwik.
    A kid, using his own driver's license, tried to buy cigarettes. He was a year or so too young, but told me very earnestly that the date on his license was wrong.
    In all the years I've worn bowling shirts and work shirts bearing other people's names, I can count on one hand the times anyone has even MENTIONED that my shirt says Gary and my check says Tracy A. Each time I've thanked them for checking.

    ReplyDelete